Monday, August 25, 2014

Monday Meet Ms. Mounts

Well, we survived the first full week of school.  I hope everyone enjoyed their weekend because Monday came in full force.  Some of you may know, or have heard about my coffee obsession.  I think it actually runs through my veins, Starbucks specifically.  A friend of mine sent me a picture today that I think speaks well for the day.

The kids came in ready to tell me all about their weekends.  Although I would love to hear them all, I did the teacherly thing and told them to save it for writing time.  We had a lot of learning to do today!

After a week in the classroom, I decided we needed to get better organized.  I switched to tables this year and man they have a lot of stuff!!  So I purchased 3 drawer organizers this weekend. 

If you happened to be at Target yesterday, you might of witnessed this...




 I think they worked out pretty well.  



To start us off, we took our second spelling pre test.  The kids did pretty well.  If they got 100% they do not have to  take the test on Friday.  The words were sent home today on their pre-test page.


I also have a class page set up on www.spellingcity.com  where students can go play games with this weeks words.  Search for Ms. Mounts and you will find my class.  We are on week 2.  


In reader's workshop, we are working on what a good reader looks like and sounds like.

A Good Reader
1.  Eye Spy the Pictures
2.  Say and Slide the word
3.  As, What would make sense?
4. Notice word parts.
5. Say the chunks.
6. Take words apart.
7. Flip the Sound
8. Ask, Does it look right and sound right?


During Writer's workshop we are working on adding to our story when we think we are done. 

Here is a picture from our lesson today.




In Math, we are working on learning math games for workshop time. We are also working on identifying tens and ones.  We took a unit pre test on Friday.  We are working hard to have 80% of the kiddos at 80% or higher.  Here are some pictures from the last few days in Math.









Happy Monday!!
Ms. Mounts